Course Student Representation is an important component of the teaching and learning quality assurance and quality improvement processes within the ANU College of Health & Medicine and the ANU College of Science. The role of Student Representatives is to provide ongoing constructive feedback on behalf of the student cohort to Course Conveners and to Associate Directors (Science Education) for continuous improvements to the course; this will assist Conveners to address any important issues as they arise and have more information about the students’ experience of the course than is provided by the end of semester surveys.
Selection of Student Representatives
- There should be at least one Student Representative for each course in CHM/CoS with an enrolment of <20 students; for courses with enrolment >20 students the minimum number of representatives is two.
- The requirement for Student Representatives should be advertised in the Introductory Lecture and nominations sought.
- Where there are more than the required number of nominations, the course convener should consider the diversity of the student cohort when selecting the course representatives (gender, international/domestic students etc).
- If an undergraduate and postgraduate course is co-‐taught then at least one Student Representative should be elected from each cohort.
- The Representatives must be appointed by the end of the second week of the teaching period and their contact details added to the Course Wattle site.
- The Course Convener should meet with the Student Representatives in the third week of the teaching period to discuss the expectations of the role.
- The Course Convener should introduce the Student Representatives to the rest of the student cohort in the third week of the teaching session.
- Student Representatives should be provided with opportunities during scheduled lectures or other course activities to seek feedback from the students (in the absence of the lecturer/convener).
- Students can also provide feedback via email to the Student Representative email address for the course (advertised on the Course Wattle site).
- Student representatives should be given the opportunity to meet at least twice with the Course Convener to communicate summarised feedback, however no meeting is required if in the opinion of the Student Representatives a meeting is not required. Student Representatives for all courses run by a School should meet with the Associate Director (Science Education) or their delegate at least once per semester.
Responding to Feedback
- Course conveners should respond to the current student cohort regarding any significant issues raised in the feedback and any changes to the course that will occur. This response can be communicated directly during a teaching session and/or via a Wattle post.
Guidelines for Course Student Representation should be included in all CHM/CoS Course Wattle sites.