How admissions scores are calculated after a year of tertiary studies

If you are a domestic student and have completed or are on track to complete a full year of study at your institution, UAC will generate an admission score based on your results. As the grade conversion and ranking is done by UAC, you should contact UAC directly to get an indication as to the required grade average from your University.

Our general advice is that you should aim to pass all courses, hopefully with a credit average.

I have completed previous tertiary studies, and my grades are not that great but my ATAR would have been good enough to satisfy the admission requirements. What do I do?

If you have experienced circumstances beyond your control that affected your results which has resulted in not satisfying our admission requirements, you can request special consideration for admission. If approved, we can assess admission to the program on the basis of your ATAR instead of your tertiary results. Please note that you will need to include a personal statement and appropriate supporting documentations upon submission of your request. For more information on special consideration, eligibility and process, please refer to the 'Special Consideration' for admission webpage.

What and when is the Chemistry Bridging Course?

The Chemistry Bridging Course targets students who have not completed Year 12 Chemistry but wish to pursue first-year university chemistry. This course is delivered once a year, before the start of semester 1 usually at the end of January and/or beginning of February. It takes around two weeks to complete this course.

To enrol into the Bridging course in Chemistry or for more information, please click to the link above. Please note that the webpage is updated once a year before enrolments open, generally in October.

What are the chemistry requirements for undergraduate programs offered by the Joint Colleges of Science?

For admission to the Bachelor of Medical Science, Bachelor of Biotechnology or Bachelor of Genetics you must have completed a major in chemistry in the ACT or year 12 chemistry in other states and territories.

For other degree programs there is no formal chemistry pre-requisite, but for those intending to pursue studies in chemistry during their degree or for most biology majors, first-year chemistry will be a requirement. It will also be required for the pre-medicine stream in the Bachelor of Health Sciences. The minimum requirement for enrolment in first-year chemistry at ANU is the completion of a major in chemistry in the ACT or year 12 chemistry for other states and territories

What should I do if I want to apply for the Bachelor of Health Sciences (pre-medicine stream) but have not completed year 12 chemistry?

If you do not satisfy the chemistry prerequisites we encourage you to list the Bachelor of Health Science program as your first preference and then undertake the chemistry bridging course that is offered by the ANU Research School of Chemistry. On successful completion of the bridging course you will be able to enrol in first year chemistry at ANU. Chemistry will not necessarily be required for the Bachelor of Health Sciences (applications of health stream).

What should I do if I want to apply for Bachelor of Medical Science, Bachelor of Biotechnology or the Bachelor of Genetics but I have not completed year 12 Chemistry?

If you do not satisfy the chemistry prerequisites we encourage you to list the Bachelor of Science program as your first preference and then undertake the chemistry bridging course that is offered by the ANU Research School of Chemistry. This will maximise your chances of being made an offer to an ANU program, and on successful completion of the bridging course, allow you the opportunity to enrol in first year chemistry at ANU.

You may apply to transfer from the Bachelor of Science to the Bachelor of Medical Science, Bachelor of Biotechnology or Bachelor of Genetics after one semester of study (if your ATAR met the admission requirement), or after your first year of studies (if your ATAR did not meet the admission requirement). After your first year of study, assessment for transfer will be made on the basis of your university GPA. Note that, to be successful in a transfer application, you will need to be satisfying any progression rules required by the degree.


Can I double count courses?

You cannot count any courses towards two different programs or towards more than one major, minor or specialisation. There is one exception to this rule: Up to two 1000 level courses can be counted towards two different degrees or two science majors IF they are compulsory courses for both degrees or majors. The balance of the course requirements needs to be made up with other courses that will contribute towards one or the other degree, major, minor or specialisation. Approval also needs to be sought from the Science Sub Dean.

If there is too much overlap between the major/minors/specialisation that you have nominated you will either have to change your major/minor/specialisation choice or consider enrolling in a single degree instead.

How do I apply for a Program Transfer?

Program transfer applications are submitted through ISIS (Main Menu > ISIS > Academic Records > Apply for Degree Transfer).

Before applying for a program transfer, please go on the ANU Transferring between degree webpage and read the information on eligibility requirements.

If you are unsure whether you satisfy the degree requirements or would have any questions about the other degree we recommend you book an appointment with the Science Sub-Dean via our online booking system.

How do I apply for a Summer Research Program for UG students?

Undergraduate students interested in participating in a research project over the summer holidays can apply for our Summer Research Program.

All information on the program, deadline for application, eligibility and scholarships/internships conditions can be found on the Summer Research Program webpage.

If you have any further enquiries regarding this program please email .

How do I apply for program leave?

As of January 2014, domestic students no longer need to apply for program leave. Students can take up to two years of leave at any time while still remaining active in their programs. After this time however they will be deactivated from their program and required to re-apply upon their return.

International students are required to submit an Application for Program Leave form prior to the semester they wish to take leave.

Further information on program leave is available on the Program management page on the main ANU website.

How do I enrol in a course after the last permitted day to enrol (Monday of week 2 of semester)?

In order to swap or add courses after this deadline, you will need to get authorisation to enrol into your course(s). To do this please:

  1. fill out section 1 to 3 of an 
  2. seek approval from the course convener (signature on the form or approval email).
  3. submit your application to Science Central (Peter Baume Building #42, Ground Floor) or via email to (PDF or JPEG files only).

Your application will be assessed and you will be notified by email of the outcome.

How do I enrol in a Summer/Autumn/Winter/Spring session course?

In order to determine whether you would be able to enrol in the course by yourself on ISIS, please first check the course start and end dates on our Programs and Courses catalogue (Offerings and dates tab)

If the course dates overlap with the standard semester, then your course will contribute towards the the max 24 units load. Summer, Semester 1 and Autumn courses contribute to the load of the first half of the year, Winter, Semester 2 and Spring courses contribute to the load of the second half of the year.

If you have already enrolled in 24 units for the semester in question, enrolment in the non standard session course will constitute an overload and you will need to seek College approval. To do so, please log onto ISIS and complete the eform ‘Manage my Degree’ . (ISIS/Degree Management/Manage my Degree).

For more information on Overload and the assessment criteria, please refer to the Overload policy.

Keep in mind that some non-standard session courses do not overlap at all with semester 1 or 2 and therefore you can take up to 12 units during that session without applying to Overload as long as the course contact hours do not overlap.

How do I enrol in Science Research Project – SCNC2021 - SCNC3021?

Before you can enrol there are a few steps you must take:

  1. Find a research project supervisor.
  2. Fill out the Please note that your research project supervisor will also have to complete the Summary of Assessment on the research project summary form, and should also provide you with the name of a co-marker.
  3. Seek approval from the Associate Director of Science Education in the area you want to do you research project in.
  4. Complete an 
  5. Submit your application to Science Central (Peter Baume Building #42, Ground Floor) or via email to (PDF or JPEG files only).

Your application will be assessed and you will be notified by email of the outcome.

Examinations and assessments

I am not happy with one of my grades, what do I do?

Further to the appeals process that is outlined on the main ANU website, the first step of your appeal is to contact the course convener for informal consideration. If you have already spoken with the course convener and are dissatisfied with the response you can lodge a formal appeal with the Associate Dean of the Colleges.

If you are still unsatisfied with the response given, you can lodge a procedural appeal to the Dean of the College. You can do that via

Please make sure you document all steps of your appeal process so that you can include all relevant information as appropriate.

I just received my end of semester exam results but my summer/autumn/winter/spring grades are missing – what does this mean?

Notifications sent by the examination’s office at the end of each semester containing your results will only refer to courses taken during the standard semester. If you have completed a non standard session course (i.e. summer or winter), you will need to log into ISIS in order to view your results (ISIS » Academic Records » Academic History).


Do I have to graduate before I undertake Honours?

Once you have satisfied the requirements of your 3 year degree you will be able to undertake Honours. You do not have to have attended the graduation ceremony in order to enrol in Honours.

You can either graduate from your undergraduate studies at the end of the semester or choose to defer your graduation for up to 12 months and receive both your undergraduate and your honours degrees at once.


How are fee invoices sent to me?

Invoices are generated in ISIS and then emailed to your ANU email account. Fees for first semester are generally due early March for semester one and early August for semester two. Fees for non-standard sessions (summer, winter etc.) are typically due no less than 21 days after the invoice has been issued.

Fees can be paid online through ISIS, or in person via credit card or cheque at Student Central. Visit the Costs & fees page on the main ANU website for more information.

I have a timetable clash, what do I do?

You need to determine whether you have a legitimate clash and, if so, what to do next. When you first build your timetable you may find you have different types of face-to-face course requirements. Some you need to attend and some you may not. You may find your timetable is full with different lab/prac and workshop groups. It is important to note that large courses will be broken down into smaller lab/prac or workshop groups and you will only need to attend one per course.

If you find that you still have clashes with your courses after you have talked with the course convenor(s), you may need to drop one of your courses and enrol in another one.

Lectures displayed on the timetable builder are not compulsory and are recorded however ideally you should aim to attend as many as you can. If you find two course lectures are clashing there are a couple of options available to you:

  1. Alternate attending lectures from one course to the other
  2. Talk to the course conveners and seek their advice
  3. Change course

All lectures should be recorded and available on Wattle. Please check with the relevant course convenor. Their name can be found on Program and Courses and their contact details on main ANU website.

Tutorials and labs are often compulsory. The timetable builder will display all groups but you only have to sign up to one of them, which ever suits your schedule best. e.g. Tutorial 01/001 , Tutorial 01/002, Tutorial 01/003. These are all tutorial and you sign up for them on Wattle. If unsure, please contact the relevant school or course convenor.

I’ve just changed courses but I can’t see my new course on Wattle

Wattle refreshes its database overnight so, depending when the changes were made on your account, it can take up to 48h before your enrolment change is updated on Wattle.