Discover your options to do research as an undergraduate student.
Research options at ANU
Science Undergraduate Research Degrees
Advanced 4 year programs incorporating an Honours year
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Environment & Sustainability (Advanced) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science (PhB)
Bachelor of Science (Honours)
The Bachelors of Science (Honours) is 1 year of advanced work in a selected field of study after you finish your coursework degree.
- Students are required to nominate a research project and find a research supervisor.
- See Admission to Honours.
- The Science Honours handbook is an excellent reference.
Undergraduate Courses with Research
Some research schools offer undergraduates the opportunity to participate in research projects through a course in the third year or through a field school. Here are some examples of third-year projects:
- ASTR3005 Astrophysics Research Project
- BIOL3208 Biology Research Project
- CHEM3060 Research Project in Chemistry
- ENVS3016 Special Topic
- MATH3349 Special Topics in Mathematics
- PHYS3042 Research Topics Physics
- PSYC3030 Psychology Undergraduate Research Experience
- SCOM3003 Science Communication Research Project
Selected field schools:
ANU Summer Research Program
The Summer Research Program gives undergraduates the chance to explore research and see what an Honours year or postgraduate degree would involve.
- Applications open from August 1-August 30.
- 8-week program runs from late-November to late January.
- Scholarships include travel, housing, and a weekly allowance.
- Eligibility: 3rd-year Undergraduates and Honours students at Australian or New Zealand universities. Individual ANU Colleges/academic areas may also consider students from other countries.
Volunteer Research Assistant
Some researchers welcome volunteers in the research group. Talk to your schools' undergraduate convenor or honours convenor for ideas or approach a researcher directly! See Finding a research supervisor for help.
Research options outside of ANU
This is not a comprehensive list, but it's meant to give you an idea of the types of opportunities that exist. Your best resource for options in your field of study is other members of your academic community, such as lecturers and postgraduates.
Vacation Research Programs at other Australian Universities
- Adelaide Summer Research Scholarship
- Central Queensland (CQ) University Summer Research Scholarship
- Flinders University Undergraduate Summer Research Awards
- Monash Summer & Winter Research Scholarship Program
- Maquarie University Vacation Scholarship Program
- Swinburne Vacation Scholarships in Astronomy
- Swinburne Vacation Scholarships School of Health Sciences Research Projects
- The International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR)
- University of New South Wales Summer Vacation Research Scholarships
- University of Sydney Summer Research Programs
- University of South Australia Vacation Research Scholarships
- University of Wollongong Australia Summer Research Scholarships
Vacation Research Programs at Australian Government Agencies
Vacation Research Programs at Australian Non-Profits
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI) Vacation Research Scholarships
- ANZAC Research Institute Summer Research scholarships
- Center for Cancer Biology Student Research Opportunities
- Century Institute Summer Research Scholarship
- Children’s Cancer Institute Summer Student Program
- Heart Research Institute Summer Scholarship
- WEHI - Walter & Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research Undergraduate Vacation Scholaships and Placements
Opportunities in the USA
Since there are major differences between the Australian and USA academic calendars, be sure to check that any USA program dates are compatible with your academic plans.
- PathWays to Science - database with a very detailed search form. Use the Advanced Search form and select "Non-U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents are eligible". Confirm if the dates are compatible with the Australian academic calendar.
- NASA Intern and Fellow Opportunities for International Students